10 Fluff Books to Get You Out of a Reading Slump


I know we all have differing reading tastes. But hear me out as I make a case that fluff books are the best kind of books  to pull you out from a reading slump.

  • Fluff books have no complicated world-building and magic systems. Don’t get me wrong, I love those things but if I am suffering a bad case of slump, I wouldn't want to pick up something that costs me a lot of brain cells to absorb and understand.
  • Fluff books are practically devoid of overly bad people. I am madly fond of murderous stabbing, suspense and mystery thrillers on the pages of my book but if I am in the funk, I wouldn’t probably want to read about lying, conniving, killing, toxic people.
  • I am all for books that hurt and make me cry but if I am dreading life and reading, I wouldn't want an emotional-heavy book. Give me light and fun banters and two people starting to like each other. Give me plain good vibes.
  • If I’m starting to fall behind on my Goodreads Reading Challenge, bingeing on a couple of short and sweet fluff books is a sure way to keep me back on track.
  • No character deaths to mourn over. No dystopic evil overlords to overthrow. Fluff books are stress-free reads!

So. Are you on the brink of the reading slump abyss right now? Let me recommend 10 fluff books that might help you remember how joyful and fun reading is. (Also, I tried to make it a mixed bag of NA and YA, trad pubbed and indie pubbed, backlist and fresh releases, diverse and #ownvoices because I AM COOL.)



by C.P. Santi

University students Aya and Ryo are attracted to each other not only physically but intellectually as well. Set in Japan. Kawaii!!!







by Carla De Guzman

A just broken-up Ava meets Scott in Bali. Sexy midnight trysts ensue.








by Lisa Brown Roberts

Nanny summer job has never been this swoony and cute.








by Natalie Whipple

A hidden gem of a YA. I lost count how many times I re-read it. Why is this book not popular?







by Melissa Keil

An Aussie YA featuring a no-nonsense comic art-loving curvy girl.








by Sarvenaz Tash

Super cute and geeky romance set in a Comic Con.








by Helen Hoang

A steamy gender-flipped "Pretty Woman" that I never thought I wanted.








by Dawn lanuza

Another YA hidden gem. I practically talk about this book every opportune time I get because it is SO GOOD.







by John Green, David Levithan

So gay. So musical.








edited by Lamar Giles

If you are in a deep slump, try an anthology 'coz you don't have to read everything in one go. This one is a collection from a powerhouse of diverse YA authors so there ought to be one that will catch your fancy. I'm still halfway through reading but I am already in love with it. "Meet Cute" by Malinda Lo is an early favorite.




I am linking up this post on Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl (this week's prompt is "Books to Pull You Out of a Reading Slump") and on 2018 Discussion Challenge hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction and It Starts at Midnight.

pic name

pic name

pic name

I'd love to hear from you! 
Which kind of books mostly does the magic of pulling you out of a reading slump? Have you read any of the books above? Feel free to add in any of your fluff book favorites in the comments.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...